Quick question: When is the last time you rebooted your computer?
There are many benefits to making it something you do on a regular basis....as this graphic so expertly shows:
Such a simple thing can help with a myriad of issues that cause headaches...
1. It "flushes" RAM (Random Access Memory and is your computer’s main type of memory.) RAM handles short-term tasks and data. Therefore, when you restart your computer, you flush out all the random, unimportant, and temporary data bogging down your device.
2. Speeds up Performance – Reboots are known to keep computers running quickly. By flushing the RAM, your computer can run a lot faster without all those temporary files piled onto your PC’s memory.
3. Stops Memory Leaks – These occur when a program doesn’t close properly. Many programs borrow your computer’s RAM while open and return it when you close the program out. However, outdated, overused or glitch programs may end up forgetting to return that memory, resulting in memory leaks. Rebooting can help prevent memory leaks from occurring.
4. Can Fix Slow or Faulty Internet Connections – Sometimes computers lose their connection to the Internet and need to be reset. The step to take is to restart your computer. Restarting will reset the connection. However, please note that if restarting your computer doesn’t solve your connectivity issues, you may have to reboot your router or require further servicing from an IT professional like us!
5. Bug Fixes – Computers that go without reboots for extended periods are prone to an assortment of frustrating issues. These annoyances include programs running at a slower pace than usual, and unexpected system freeze-ups. Rebooting your computer will prevent the systems’ processors from becoming overloaded and provide them with ample time to recharge.
6. Saves Time – Rebooting your computer is one of the quickest ways you can fix an error with your machine. By following the steps provided here, you can avoid sacrificing time out of your work day. You will also be saving time that could be potentially wasted on future device sluggishness or potential bugs.
If you've tried rebooting your computer and it still has issues, it may be time to call on Byte Squad.